The salary range for this position is CAD $47.77 - $65.12 / hour
Why Fraser Health?
Fraser Health is the heart of health care for nearly two million people in 20 diverse communities from Burnaby to Fraser Canyon on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territories of the Coast Salish and Nlaka’pamux Nations, and is home to six Métis Chartered Communities.
Our hospital and community-based services are delivered by a team of 45,000+ staff, medical staff and volunteers dedicated to serving our patients, families, and communities: Better health, best in health care. Learn more.
Effective October 26, 2021, all new hires to Fraser Health will need to have full COVID 19 vaccination (have received a full series of a World Health Organization “WHO” approved vaccine against infection by SARS-COV-2, or a combination of approved WHO vaccines). Please note this applies to all postings, and individual medical exemptions must be approved by the Provincial Health Officer.
Joining our team offers you opportunities to work in a rapidly growing organization with health professionals who are excellent in their respective fields, career growth and advancement, a competitive compensation package (including four weeks of vacation to start, comprehensive health benefits, and pension plan), and the rewarding opportunity to make a difference every single day in health care.
Connect with us!
We invite you to apply today and find out why employees recommend Fraser Health to their friends as an exceptional place to work. We are committed to planetary health, we value diversity in the work force and seek to maintain an environment of Respect, Caring and Trust.
Connect with us on our Careers social channels where you’ll learn about exciting opportunities, get career tips from our recruiters, and meet some of your future team members! You can also visit us on Indeed and Glassdoor.
In accordance with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM) standards of practice and the Mission and Values of Fraser Health, the Clinician, Wound and Skin Care utilizes evidence-informed practice and education theory to provide resident-centered consultation and clinical expertise in wound prevention and skin care management in Residential Care settings throughout Fraser Health.
Role models direct care skills to residential care staff based on application of theories, concepts and principles to provide excellence in wound prevention and skin care management. Participates in direct care for residents as appropriate.
Consults with experts, collaborates with members of the interdisciplinary team and provides information and educational activities to staff and/or residents and families through teaching, facilitating groups, mentoring and conducting formal presentations, demonstrations and lectures.
This position is a multi-site position and is expected to provide services at various residential care sites throughout Fraser Health.
- Demonstrates expertise and provides clinical leadership in evidence informed practice related to wound and skin care to staff and/or residents/families by methods such as reviewing literature in specialty area, consulting with experts, collaborating with members of the interdisciplinary team, evaluating clinical practice and recommending changes to existing standards to the Manager.
- Role models direct resident care skills to staff and students, provides information based on application of theories, concepts and principles, ensures compliance with standards of practice and supports nursing staff to provide excellence in wound prevention and skin care management based on specialized theory and practice.
- Delivers educational activities to staff, students and/or residents/families by methods such as teaching, facilitating groups, mentoring and conducting formal presentations, demonstrations and lectures related to wound prevention and skin care management. Arranges sessions in collaboration with staff and/or residents//families to determine time, frequency and duration to ensure effective use of resources. Maintains staff education records as appropriate.
- Develops and implements education programs, orientation and professional development programs to residential care staff and/or residents/families by methods such as responding to requests, completing learning needs assessments and determining educational requirements related to wound and skin care management. Revises programs on the basis of pre-identified learning needs, resident outcomes, internal/community standards of practice, introduction of new skills/procedures and current theory/research. Evaluates effectiveness of the programs to ensure objectives are met and to determine opportunities for quality improvement.
- Performs advanced nursing skills in wound and skin care management. In consultation with the Manager and staff, arranges preceptorship and mentorship for students and new staff regarding wound and skin care management.
- Provides leadership and consultation to clinical staff and students to assess, plan, implement and evaluate wound and skin care of residents by methods such as reviewing resident/family needs and progress, promoting staff collaboration with health care professionals, reviewing available health care professional/community agencies and discussing referral options with staff.
- Promotes to staff the teaching of residents/families about wound prevention and management, skin care, health maintenance and health promotion strategies by methods such as developing health teaching strategies, assessing the learning needs of residents/families, teaching and evaluating outcomes of learning and maintaining current reference material regarding wound and skin care.
- Participates in quality improvement and risk management activities by methods such as evaluating effects of changes in wound and skin care practice, generating recommendations for alternative approaches to practice and taking corrective action. Recommends changes to selected policies, procedures and protocols and provides feedback to the Manager
- Consults and collaborates with interdisciplinary team members and other health care professionals/providers in the identification and resolution of a variety of resident/family issues by methods such as encouraging staff to communicate in a confidential/professional manner and ensuring relevant information is documented accordingly. Identifies available resources to assist in the management and/or coordination of these issues and makes recommendations for alternative approaches and/or solutions.
- Participates in research and special projects in wound and skin care by methods such as collaborating with members of the interdisciplinary team, promoting staff awareness and involvement in research activities, identifying practices/issues that require research, collecting and interpreting data and providing input for further analysis as required.
- Participates on designated local and regional program and professional committees regarding to wound and skin care management by methods such as attending meetings, providing input, facilitating the resolution of issues and advocating the goals and objectives of the wound and skin care program.
- Contributes as a team member to the selection of new staff and in the performance evaluation of staff by methods such as attending panel interviews, making recommendations, assessing clinical skills and providing input to the Manager as requested.
- Assists the Manager with determining the optimal use of budgetary resources for wound and skin care by methods such as providing input as requested and making recommendations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM). Completion of the International Interdisciplinary Wound Care Course (IIWCC) or Wound Ostomy and Continence Nurse (WOCN) Course supplemented by three (3) years' recent experience in Wound and Skin Care within a residential/geriatric care setting including one (1) year of education or leadership experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Valid BC Driver's license and access to a personal vehicle for business-related purposes.
Skills and Abilities
- Clinical proficiency/expertise in wound and skin care.
- Ability to apply educational theories and evidence to teaching practices.
- Ability to establish educational priorities to meet identified program, organization and learner needs.
- Ability to implement education based on changing practices e.g. legislation and technology.
- Ability to foster effective teaching and learning relationships.
- Ability to facilitate learning and create effective learning environments.
- Ability to collaborate with a variety of stakeholders in preparing appropriate learner environments.
- Ability to develop and utilize appropriate practice assessment tools.
- Ability to develop and deliver teaching/learning modalities and education materials that promote best practice.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to provide leadership and work direction in a coaching/mentoring role.
- Ability to work independently in an organized and self directed manner.
- Ability to problem-solve and effectively deal with conflict situations.
- Ability to conceptualize education from a unit to regional focus.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.